Thursday, October 14, 2010

Blog VI

Gareth McConnell
Gareth McConnell for the New York Times
Swoon, 28- Street Artist

A former art student at Pratt inspired in part by German Expressionist woodcut prints and Indonesian shadow puppets, Swoon (a tag she adopted as a full-time alias) creates delicate life-size linoleum-and-woodcut print cutouts of family, friends and people she sees on the street and then pastes them around the city. In the summer of 2005 she had a solo show at Deitch Gallery, and she was also part of P.S. 1's Greater New York show. This summer her work was included in the Printmaking Now exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art.

Copyright 2006 The New York Times Company


I think McConnell's work for the New York Times relates to my work because they are portraits, which is what I love to do!


Deborah Willis
Deborah Willis
To catch a lover, tape his picture behind your mirror,
From the Mother Wit Series I,
16"x16",
Digital C-Print, 2008


Deborah Willis is very interesting to me because she is not only a fine art photographer, but also one of the leading historians and curators in the nation.  "Memory, history and representation are the cornerstones of Willis' work." (http://www.charlesguice.com/artists_dw.html) She is a visual storyteller, which is what I aspire to be.


Malerie Marder
At Rest Still 4
2003


I chose this photo because it is very similar to one that I took for my self-portrait series.



Trois photos by moi...


I heart Coors Field. No Rocktober for us this year. :(


This sign is awesome.

 Diana said this looked like the apocolypse.






No comments:

Post a Comment