Thursday, November 4, 2010

Blog VIII

Robert Mapplethorpe, Gregory Hines, 1985

http://www.mapplethorpe.org/portfolios/portraits/?i=2

I like this photograph of Gregory Hines because of the motion blur.  You can tell he his dancing, but not in his signature tap shoes or even in any sort of costume.  He is performing for the camera, the viewer--an intimate audience. 


Jack Pierson, Self-Portrait #22, 2003
Pigment Print, edition of 7
54x44"

http://www.regenprojects.com/exhibitions/2004-06-jack-pierson/images/

The two images are the same, based on the theory we've read about, in that the subjects (people) are objects.  I find Pierson's "Self-Portrait" series interesting because they are clearly not the same person, or the artist himself.  For example, this photograph is clearly the actor, Brad Pitt.  This can tie into the theory and themes of "personal photographs."  In using these possibly appropriated photographs, he is making photographs of others that he may not even know, his own personal collection.


Three photos by me!

While looking through some old things this weekend, I found this note from an old friend who is no longer living.  I love finding these little "greetings" from her.  This one in particular was a reminder of all the silly things she did...like finding random junk that people were throwing out and leaving them for me on my doorstep.  I wish I still had the chair that came with this note.


These heart-shaped mirrors are funny, and I like Diana's reflection in one.


This is from a pamphlet a classmate was given at the church where she voted on election day.  It is all about how dancing is a sin, and I thought this phrase was very funny.




No comments:

Post a Comment